Wednesday, August 11, 2010



Funny story.

My mom instructed me to sell my Canon xTi. I don't know if she requested it to be sold out of anger or not but I obliged. I put up an ad on craigslist for $350. Sure enough I got a call from an enthusiastic Filipino lady. She had emailed and texted me for days for the camera. Even explained that she was going to the Philippines real soon and wanted a nice camera. I told my mom and I was so reluctant. I begged my mom to make up excuses not to sell it. "Talk to the woman." My mom talked to her and tried real hard. BUT NO LUCK. The woman was coming to our house to see the camera. I stared at my camera with a huge frown. It wasn't the fact it was a beautiful camera. It was the sentimental value. How much random adventures I had with it. How giddy I got when I first saw it. I wanted to cry as I packed up the box, putting away the charger and manual. The lady came to our house. Classy woman with pearls accessorizing her ears. Her two children identical to her stature short and chubby accompanied her. Her boys eyes lit up when he saw the camera. She took the camera and inspected it and handed it to him. The boy had the look that I had. The boy wanted to make magic. So we sold it and my camera and I parted ways. Honestly it felt like I gave up my baby. I was sad and my mom waved the 350 in my face. Claiming it as hers.

She saw how sad I was to part with it. She knew how much I love photography.
"It's ok mom now we got some cash, maybe can save it and buy another one."
"Why don't you look at Craigslist, maybe get one cheap one. The video one."
In my head I was like she got to be kidding it's like 700 - 800 on the market right now
"Whatever."
"You never know bogo, fine up to you I got my money."
I searched on craigslist, the emptiness crept up on me.
canon t1i
I got a hit. CANON t1i $595 EWA BEACH
PERFECT!
"Mom there's one Ewa Beach $595"
"Call em ask em for $500"
"You got to be kidding me $500? Forget it."
"Then forget it then."
"Ugh! fine."
I dialed the number and a lady answered the phone. She had a strong asian accent. My mom asked her for $500 on the camera. Started explaining that I was a design student. Asking her for just the body. My mom then handed the phone to me. I explained how I was a design student and she explained the features of the camera.
"How much for just the body, I don't need the lens."
"Oh I don't know. Let me see well I think. Ok $480"
MY EYES LIT UP! HELL YEAH!
"Really? I'd buy it cash! I've been saving for it this whole summer"
Sold. I had to meet her at Blockbuster with my ID and the cash. Just in case it was counterfeit money. She asked me what school I attend I told her. She explained how she majored in fashion at AAU.